Address: Fore Street Barbican EC2Y 8DA
Telephone: 020 7638 1997
Opening Times: Mon-Fri 11am-4pm
Description: A large parish church now within the Barbican development, quite difficult to find (turn North into Wood Street from London Wall and turn left at the top). It escaped the Great Fire but was severely damaged in the Second World War. This gave the opportunity to remove some 19th century “improvements” and revert to the 1545-50 pattern of the building. It re-opened in 1960. Though principally 16th century there are elements of earlier buildings incorporated in the present one. The large East window is post-war (1957) but based on late 14th century traces found during bomb damage restoration and replacing a large bull’s-eye window of 1704 (with glass of 1791). The St Giles International Organ School is based in the church.